Skip to content
1927 Map of the Arboretum

Frequently Asked Questions

Jonathan Damery leads the 2019 DaRin Butz Research Interns on a tour of the living collections Faye Rosin
2019 DaRin Butz Interns tour the living collections

DaRin Butz Foundation Research Internship Program

Who can apply for an internship?
To apply students must be:

  • enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in the life sciences
  • may be part-time or full-time in program leading to a baccalaureate or associates degree
  • must be enrolled at the time of application
  • must be authorized to work in the US

High school graduates who have not yet enrolled in a undergraduate degree program and students who have already received their undergraduate degree at the time of application are not eligible to apply.

Am I required to be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident?
No, but the internship is contingent upon your ability to demonstrate employment authorization in the U.S. Since every situation is different and may have different requirements, you should ask your school’s International Office for advice as soon as possible.

What if I need to arrive late or leave early?
Interns are expected to work at least 40 hours per week for the entire ten-week term. Interns must start on the program start date and stay until the program end date. Vacations are not permitted during the 10-week program (except for official Harvard-wide holidays).

How will I be notified if I am accepted into the program?
Applicants will be notified by email mid to late March.

Where is the internship located?
The Arboretum’s Weld Hill Research Facilities are located in the Boston neighborhood called Roslindale located at 1300 Centre St, Boston, MA 02131. Weld Hill is accessible by public transportation (directions). Most interns will be based exclusively at Weld Hill. Some interns will work at Weld Hill at least 2-3 days per week, but may also spend time in the home labs of their advisors (Templer/Hutyra Labs at Boston University).

Is the stipend considered income for tax purposes?
Yes, the stipend is considered taxable income for US Citizens and non-US citizens alike. For non-US Citizens, taxes may be automatically taken out of the stipend depending on individual circumstances including the specific tax treaty between the US and home country. See a tax specialist for more information and advice.

Is housing provided?
We do not provide or locate housing for interns. We recommend looking for summer sublets (by visiting Craig’s List and searching under the “housing” heading for instance), renting a room on Airbnb, or renting a dorm room from one of the local universities (for example, see Emmanuel College, Northeastern University, Suffolk University and Boston University. Explore the resources on for more information on visiting or relocating to the Boston area. Please reach out to discuss different neighborhoods and transportation options.

Is travel covered?
Up to $550 will be provided for travel expenses for traveling to and from Boston at the start and end of the program. Housing and daily commuter expenses are not covered.

Is health insurance provided?
No, health insurance is not provided by the program and interns are not covered by worker’s compensation. Interns should ensure that they have health insurance through their families or undergraduate program.

I have applied to the program previously, can I apply again?
Previous applicants may apply for the program again as long as they are still eligible. If you were accepted and participated in the program previously, you are not eligible to apply again. Please reach out directly to different lab groups about any available opportunities

Additional questions?
For additional questions about the internship or submission process, contact the selection committee (Email).