Associate Professor, Boston University
I received my Ph.D. from Harvard University in 2007 and am currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Earth & Environment at Boston University. My current research interests center on characterization of the urban carbon cycle, including quantifying the affects of urbanization on vegetation structure and productivity, developing urban greenhouse gas monitoring systems, and refining fossil fuel emissions estimates. My group’s work is currently focused on the northeastern United States, with some continuing work in tropical rain forests.
Additional information about Lucy and her lab can be found here: http://sites.bu.edu/hutyra/
- Ng, B.J.L., Hutyra, L.R., Nguyen, H.T., Cobb, A., Fuu-Ming, K., Harvey, C., Gandois, L. In Press. Carbon fluxes from an urban tropical grassland. Environment Pollution, in press. (DOI: 10.1016/j.envpol.2014.06.009)
- Gately, C., Hutyra, L.R., Sue Wing, I. U.S. on-road CO2 emissions, 1980-2012. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. (in press)
- Hutyra, L.R. Urban nutrient cycling in Handbook on urbanization and global environmental change. Seto, K. and Solecki, W. (eds). Taylor and Francis Books (In press).
- McKain, K., Down, A., Raciti, S., Budney, J., Hutyra, L.R., Floerchinger, C., Herdon, S., Zahniser, M., Nehrkorn, T., Jackson, R.B., Phillips, N., Wofsy, S.C., Methane Emissions from Natural Gas in the Urban Region of Boston, Massachusetts. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 112: 1941-1946, 2105.
- Kittredge, D.B., Short, A., Hutyra, L.R., Foster, D.R., Getson, J.M., Landowner conservation awareness across a rural-to-urban gradient. Biological Conservation 184: 79-89, 2015.
- Templer, P.H., Toll, J., Hutyra, L.R., Raciti, S.M., Nitrogen and Carbon Export from Urban Areas Through Removal and Export of Litterfall. Environmental Pollution 197: 256-261, 2015.
- Rao, P., Hutyra, L.R., Raciti, S.M., Templer, P.H., Atmospheric nitrogen inputs and losses along an urbanization gradient in the Boston metropolitan region. Biogeochemistry 121: 229-245, 2014.
- Hutyra, L.R., Duren, R., Gurney, K., Grimm, N.B., Kort, E., Larson, E., Shrestha, G., Urbanization and the carbon cycle: Current capabilities and future outlook on observing and modeling urban carbon flows. Earth’s Future, 2(10): 473-495, 2014.
- Romero-Lankao, P., Gurney, K., Seto, K.C., Chester, M., Duren, R.M., Hughes, S., Hutyra, L.R., Marcotullio, P., Baker, L., Grimm, N.B., Kennedy, C., Larson, E., Pincetl, S., Runfola, L., Sanches, L., Shrestha, G., Feddema, J.J., Sarzynski, A., Sperling, J., Stokes, E., A critical knowledge pathway to low-carbon, sustainable futures: Integrating understanding of urbanization, urban areas, and carbon. Earth’s Future, 2(10): 515-532, 2014.
- Raciti, S.M., Hutyra, L.R., Newell, J.D. Mapping carbon storage in urban trees with multi-source remote sensing data: Relationships between biomass, land use, and demographics in Boston neighborhoods. Science of the Total Environment, 500-501: 73-83, 2014.
- Kong, F., Yin, H., James, P., Hutyra, L.R., He, H. Effects of spatial pattern of green space on urban cooling in a large metropolitan area of eastern China. Landscape and Urban Planning, 128: 35-47, 2014.
- Restrepo-Coupe, N., da Rocha, H.R., Hutyra, L.R., da Araujo, A.C., Borma, L.S., Christoffersen, B., Cabral, O.M.R., de Camargo, P.B., Cardoso, F.L., da Costa, A.C.L., Fitzjarrald, D.R., Goulden, M.L., Kruijt, B., Maia, J.M.F., Malhi, Y.S., Manzi, A.O., Miller, S.D., Nobre, A.D., von Randow, C., Abreu Sá, L.D., Sakai, R.K., Tota, J., Wofsy, S.C., Zanchi, F.B., Saleska, S.R., What drives the seasonality of photosynthesis across the Amazon basin? A cross-site analysis of eddy flux tower measurements from the Brasil flux network. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 182-183: 128-144, 2013.
- Rao, P., Hutyra, L.R., Raciti, S.M., Finzi, A.C., Field and remotely sensed measures of soil and vegetation carbon and nitrogen across an urbanization gradient in the Boston Metropolitan Area. Urban Ecosystems, 16: 593-616, 2013.
- Briber, B.M., Hutyra, L.R., Dunn, A.L., Raciti, S.M., Munger, J.W., Variations in atmospheric CO2 and carbon fluxes across a Boston, MA urban gradient. Land, 2(3): 304-327, 2013.
- Gately, C.K., Hutyra, L.R., Sue Wing, I., Brondfield, M.N., A bottom-up approach to on-road CO2 emissions estimate: Improved spatial accuracy and applications for regional planning. Environmental Science and Technology, 47(5), 2423–2430, 2013.
- Alberti, M. and L.R. Hutyra. Carbon signatures of development patterns along a gradient of urbanization in. Land Use and the Carbon Cycle: Science and Applications in Human Environment Interactions. Brown, D.G., Robinson, D.T., French, N.H.F., and B.C. Reed (eds). Cambridge University Press, ISBN: 9781107648357, 2013.
- Phillips, N.G., Ackley, R. Crosson, E.R., Down, A., Hutyra, L.R., Brondfield, M., Karr, J.D., Zhao, K., Jackson, R.B., Mapping urban pipeline leaks: methane leaks across Boston. Environmental Pollution, 173: 1-4, 2013.
- Hepinstall-Cymerman, J., Coe, S., Hutyra, L.R. Patterns of land cover change in the central Puget Sound, Washington, 1986-2007, Urban Ecosystems, 16: 109-129, 2013.