Check out the Arboretum’s free Discovery Packs, supported by a gift from the Arnold Arboretum Committee. Be part of the Explorer’s Club and go on an adventure in the Arboretum. Living Museum or Science Lab backpacks can be borrowed from the Visitor Center and are suitable for families with kids over the age of three.
How Does it Work?
- Come to the Hunnewell Visitor Center to check out a free backpack. Packs are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Last checkout is 2:00pm, and packs must be returned by 4:00pm. During busy times, a time limit may be imposed. You will be asked to leave an item of value (keys, credit card, or driver’s license) while you are borrowing the pack.
- Choose from two packs—Living Museum or Science Lab. There are several activities in each pack, with enough supplies for four people to participate in each activity. Plan to do one activity on each visit; you may do more if your children are older or if you are planning a longer visit.
- Activities are suitable for families and after school groups with children over the age of three. Some activities are better suited for younger kids, some work better with older kids. Adults can customize the activities so they work best for your child’s developmental level. Adult participation is fun and important!
- Before exploring, adults should read the instruction sheet for each activity, and look for “Tips for Adults” cards with special information and discussion ideas.
- Call the Visitor Center at 617.384.5209 if you have questions.
Read a summary of the activities for Living Museum and Science Lab packs.