Hours and Services
The Arnold Arboretum’s 281-acre landscape is open from sunrise to sunset every day of the year. There is no admission charge, but donations are appreciated.
Hunnewell Building restrooms and access for business guests are open weekdays from 9:00am until closing. Closed holidays.
The Visitor Center in the Hunnewell Building is open:
- November through March, noon–4:00pm
- April through October, 11:00am–6:00pm
- Closed Wednesdays
Services available in the Visitor Center include:
- personal assistance to enrich your visit
- membership information
- maps and postcards
- changing exhibits with books and objects from the Arboretum archives
- a rotating selection of library books for browsing
- seasonal art exhibitions
- activities for children
- lost and found: for inquires call 617.384.5209. Unclaimed items are donated to charity after two weeks.
The Arnold Arboretum Horticultural Library is open Monday through Friday, 10:00am–3:45pm. The library is closed on weekends and holidays. more »
Vehicular Traffic, Parking, and Special-Needs Driving Permits
Parking is available outside the main gate, along the Arborway, and around the Arboretum’s perimeter. The plantings are best enjoyed on foot, and the grounds are closed to vehicular traffic except by permit for special-needs individuals.
A limited number of driving permits are available from the Hunnewell Visitor Center for special needs individuals only. Permits are first-come, first-served, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday between 12:00pm and 3:00pm. During busy times a one-hour time limit may be imposed. Vehicle height is a maximum of 11′ high, with a maximum capacity of 35. A driver’s license is required in exchange for the permit. Full driving restrictions (speed limit, permissible roads) are explained when the driving pass is loaned. The right to a driving permit may be revoked if the vehicle is observed violating these regulations.
The Arnold Arboretum is intended for the study of plants and the passive appreciation of nature. Activities must be conducted in a manner that does not impact or deter the general public’s enjoyment of the Arboretum.
Groups and individuals using the Arboretum should be aware of the following rules:
- Picking or destroying plant material is strictly prohibited.
- Climbing trees is not allowed nor is walking in plant beds or mulched areas.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times. Owners are responsible for removal and disposal of their dogs’ wastes.
- Motor vehicles are not allowed without a special permit for individuals with mobility issues (contact the Visitor Center at 617.384.5209 for more information).
- Picnicking, fires, and barbecues are prohibited.
- Organized group sports and commercial film crews are prohibited.
- Bicycles are permitted only on paved paths.
See policies related to weddings, memorial services, and other group activities