ALM Information Technology (2012), Harvard University Extension School
MS Botany (2003), UMASS Amherst
BA Environmental Science (1998), Boston University
Prior to this, I was the Managing Editor for Harvard Papers in Botany and also the Web Manager for the Harvard University Herbaria. I started out as a botanist and worked for several years as a horticulturist, and then in a plant phylogenetic lab conducting seed germination studies and DNA sequencing experiments. I also volunteer at the Arboretum leading tours of the grounds.
- Tremonte, D. 2013. Plants in the Arboretum Landscape: A Mobile Application Guide. Harvard University Extension School, Master’s Thesis.
- Mathews, S. and D. Tremonte. 2012. Tests of the Link between Functional Innovation and Positive Selection at Phytochrome A: The Phylogenetic Distribution of Far-Red High-Irradiance Responses in Seedling Development. International Journal of Plant Sciences 173(6):662–672. [pdf]
- Tremonte, D. 2004. The Relationship Between Phragmites Australis (common Reed) and Inorganic Nitrogen Pools in Interdunal Swales. University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Master’s Thesis. [Google Books]
In the press
- Plant A Smile (4H Club of Newton)
- Talking Tech with AvidGeo and LocationTech (Directions Magazine)
- Arnold Arboretum Uses Mobile Mapping to Increase Access to Botanical Collections (ArcWatch)
- Mobile App Educates Arboretum Visitors (Harvard Extension Hub)
- Bringing plants, technology together (Harvard Gazette)
- Tremonte, D. GIS at the Arboretum: The Arboretum Explorer. Newton 4H Girls Club, November 24, 2013. [Google Doc]
- Tremonte, D. The Arboretum Explorer. AvidGeo Conference, November 7, 2013. [Google Doc]
- Wihbey J., and Tremonte, D. Journalist’s Resource.org: A New Model for Research Communications. Harvard IT Summit, June 6, 2013. [Google Doc]
- Tremonte, D. Arboretum Explorer: Overview for Arboretum docents and interpreters, May 2013. [Google Doc]
- Tremonte, D. et al. Digital Roundup Live: March 2013. Harvard attendees to SXSWi present.
- Tremonte, D. GIS at the Arboretum. Presented for GIS Day, November 14 and 17th, 2012 Jamaica Plain, MA. [Google Doc]
- Tremonte, D. and J. Sardano. Plants in the Arboretum Landscape: A Mobile Application Guide. Presented at the 2012 NEARC Conference, November 14, 2012 Rockland, ME. [Google Doc]
- Tremonte, D. and J. Warsowe. Using Technology to Enhance Learning at the Arboretum. Presented for Harvard’s ABCD TIE group’s November 5, 2012 meeting, Cambridge, MA. [Google Doc]
- Tremonte, D. Creating a Web App for the Arboretum. Presented for Harvard’s ABCD Mobile group’s September 21, 2012 meeting, Cambridge, MA. [Google Doc]
- Tremonte, D. Phytochrome-mediated de-etiolation in gymnosperms and basal angiosperms. Poster presented at the 70th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Plant Biologists, Smith College, Northampton, MA. April 8, 2006.
- Tremonte, D. Light sensing in plants. Presented for the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement, Cambridge, MA. December 16, 2004.
- Tremonte, D. and R.A. Harrington. The effect of Phragmites australis on inorganic nitrogen availability in freshwater, interdunal swales. Presented at Cape Cod Natural History Conference, Wellfleet, MA. March 15, 2003.
- Tremonte, D. and R.A. Harrington. An introduction to invasive plants of Massachusetts. Presented at the Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Plain, MA. Summer 2002.